Lawful basis for processing data
(1) Based on our legitimate interests:
- To assess your suitability before entering the membership, and any additional projects that you
may be involved with
- To contact you about the activities of CSC that are of legitimate interest to you as a member, financial or non-financial supporter
We have completed a legitimate interest assessment for all data processed under the concept of legitimate interest, and concluded that this is the correct lawful basis category.
(2) Based on your consent:
- To process non-special categories of your personal data (e.g. data concerning your organisation, contact details)
- To send you marketing emails.
What we collect
We collect your organisations data, as well as personal contact information when you register with CSC and/or make a donation.
We collect the data which we need in order to successfully deliver and report on our charitable activities. This
- your name
- your organisation name and details
- your job title
- contact information including email address
- contact preferences
- Gift Aid information
- a record of any donations you or your organisation has made to us
- a record of any previous correspondence we have had with you
- demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests
- other information relevant to customer surveys and our work with the sector
- billing information and address for paying members
- references as part of your application to become a member
- organisational information including staff members and size
We do not request or store any special categories of personal data, such as information on health and disability, ethnicity or gender.
From time to time we may also ask for you to voluntarily provide additional information as part of surveys, polls, feedback or competitions. These activities will only be conducted for the purposes of improving our work, our services and our financial stability. The data will be stored securely and deleted after a reasonable length of time.
When you visit our website, we collect data about your visit using Google Analytics cookies.
How we use your information
We collect information about you during membership registration or renewal; when you become a supporter to maintain regular, relevant contact; if you are the named contact within member organisations or organisations we are working with; and if you are an individual who is collaborating with CSC in another capacity.
Personal contact details will never be shared, nor made available to anyone else outside CSC, without your express permission.
If you have made a donation, opted-in to receive direct marketing or signed up to receive our newsletters, you may receive the following communications from us:
- Emails updating you on our campaigns
- Surveys that will help us better understand our supporters
- E-newsletters, which provide information about our work that we think explains what we do and the impact we are having
- Reports about our programmatic work that are delivered by email
- Invitations to events
- Opportunities to collaborate or get further involved.
We promise to only send you brief and relevant email communications.
You can opt out of receiving any of the above direct marketing emails at any time by contacting firstname.lastname@example.org. All direct marketing will include a link that gives you an option to unsubscribe at the footer of the email.
If you have made a donation to CSC, you will always receive confirmation of the amount you have donated – unless you indicate to us that you do not wish to receive one.
After donating to CSC, you will only receive direct marketing emails from CSC if you have opted to receive communications from us.
We will only share your personal data if:
- We are legally required to do so; or
- with appropriate individuals or organisations if there is an express reason for doing so and if we have obtained your consent.
We will never sell your details or swap your details with another charity.
We will not make cold telephone calls to members of the general public; therefore, we will not purchase your data in order to do so.
We may disclose your personal information if we are requested or required to do so by a regulator or law enforcement or in order to enforce or apply our rights (including in relation to our website or other applicable terms and conditions), for example in cases of suspected fraud or defamation, or in order to comply with any other applicable legal obligation.
We do use your information to help with the statistics in our reporting. Our reporting never includes personal data or anything that could identify a specific person, only anonymous statistical data which helps us to monitor and improve the performance of our services. The data will be stored securely and deleted after a reasonable length of time.
Data retention period
Different categories of data will be retained for different time periods, depending on legal, operational and financial requirements. Any data which CSC decides it does not need to hold for a period of time will be destroyed after one year.
We would like to send you information about news and events relating to CSC.
If you consent to receive marketing, you can opt out at any time by clicking the ‘Unsubscribe’ link at the bottom of our emails.
We may also communicate directly with you by phone, mail or email about the activities of CSC or the wider CSC network.
You have a right at any time to stop us from contacting you by requesting this verbally or in writing.
Access to your information
You have the right at any time to ask us what information we have about you, request amendments or updates to that information, or to ask us to delete information we hold on you.
You can submit an information request by emailing email@example.com
Cookies are small text files placed on your computer by websites you visit to help track your behaviour on those sites. For example, we use Google Analytics tracking cookies to understand how you use our site, which allows us to improve the overall website experience.
You can configure your browser to block websites from accepting cookies and to delete any existing cookies that have already been downloaded. However, please note that blocking cookies may stop some features of our website from working correctly.
Please note: Cookies cannot be used to run code or programs, or to deliver viruses to your computer.
You can find out more about cookies on the Information Commissioner’s Office (ICO) website: https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public/online/cookies/, or visit www.aboutcookies.org
Our website contains links to other websites. When you link to other websites you should read their own privacy policies.
Social media platforms
Communications, engagement and actions taken through CSC social media platforms are custom to the terms and conditions as well as the privacy policies of each platform.
We regularly review our privacy policies, and any updates will be made to this page. Please check back from time to time to ensure that you have read the most up-to-date version of this policy.
How to contact us
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By phone: +44(0)20 3559 6340
- Or write to us (postal address available on our website)